1) Be available through their communication media, especially texting. If you want to protect your personal phone number, get Google Voice.
2) Respond freaky-fast and super-helpfully when they reach out for help the day an assignment is given.
3) Have zero tolerance for late work, incomplete work, or “I didn’t know what we were supposed to do.”
4) Sit back and let the Pavlov do the rest.
5) (Optional) Gradually introduce them to Wolfram Alpha, Wikipedia, Purplemath, Khan Academy, and other resources. Dial back response speed until their payoff from doing their own research is slightly (just slightly) higher than asking the teacher.
We’re looking for EVSelf-help > EVAsk Mr. Shackelford > EV Skip assignment here.